TOEIC Day 16 – Reading 4 (Invitation / Registration Form / vocabs)
TOEIC tests your ability to use English in working environment. So, the texts are what you will be seen in working office. Another one that is common in office is invitation to meeting, seminar, or event. It maybe a letter of invitation or a reply to an invitation (or both). Potential questions are as follows:
- What is the purpose of this letter/email/card/note?
- When is the meeting?
- Where will the event take place?
- What will happen in the seminar?
- Other details.
My suggestion is read the passage first. It shouldn’t be too long. Then read the questions. Now you will be able to locate the answers quicker. So, improving your reading speed is very important. Here are some ways to improve your reading pace.
- Practice little by little every day. The quantity is not as important as consistency.
- Start with something short and easy. You can find reading comprehension exercise for elementary students, short and easy.Check this out : http://www.agendaweb.org/reading/easy-reading-1.html
- Use the tip of your finger or a pencil to guide your reading. Always place the pointer few words ahead. This helps you keep track of what you’re reading.
- Stay conscious. If a sentence doesn’t make any sense, read it again. That means you lost it. So, slow down when you need to.
Let’s move on to the next type of text, registration form. It may be for an event, seminar, service or product subscription, or membership registration. It may look like this.
For registration form, you should read the questions first then the text because there are too many details that potentially be the subject of questions. Example questions for the above forms are as follows:
- How many years of work experience does Bert Roberts have? (7 years)
- Where can this form be found? (Website because there is click here button at the bottom of the page.)
- What position is Bert Roberts interested in? (Electrical Engineer)
As you can see that the questions are impossible to be predicted. They are subject to the topic of the form. So, read the questions and the text carefully but don’t think too much because most of the answers are frank and obvious.
Here are links to practical exercises.
Check this out :
ดูรายละเอียด คอร์สเรียนสด TOEIC ได้ที่ https://www.chulatutor.com/toeic/
และพิเศษสำหรับ คนที่ไม่สะดวกเดินทาง หรือ เวลาไม่สะดวกมาเรียนสด TOEIC ที่ทางสถาบันสามารถเรียน TOEIC Online ได้แล้วที่ https://www.chulatutor.com/online/toeic-online