Express way to IELTS in 20 days#13
IELTS writing (Table, Pie chart)
(1) What the graphic is representing, which will be given in the task paper. What you have to do is to paraphrase it.
(2) Continue with general picture of the data including distinctive features of the graphic by looking for highest-lowest, largest-smallest, best-worst, longest-shortest, tallest-shortest, or deepest-highest.
(3) Make comparison and suggest the trend of the data.
(4) End with a conclusion idea.
Tables are useful when you want to present data in several aspects or forming an index of something. It will make the information easier to comprehend.
What to look for
- Identify overall picture
- Highest and lowest values
- Similarity and contrast
- Association of the data to the category such as the fact that Italian people spent 9.00% of their expenditure on clothing and footware, which is the highest among five countries, because Italy is one of the fashion capitals.
Pie charts are different from other graphic tools since it concerns the representation of proportion. They may be presenting a proportion of products, a proportion of company’s expenditure, or a proportion of people with different education level. Here is an example.
What to look for
- Identify the largest pieces and the smallest pieces
- Compare the data between charts, in case there are more than one
- Compare the data between other graphic tools that may be given with
Useful vocabularies and phrases for Table and Pie chart
the number of / the amount of / the quantity of
more / less / fewer
Instead of mentioning the specific numbers with decimals, you can approximate using these vocabularies.
approximately / around / roughly / a little bit over / a little bit under
half / double / ……. percent / ……. time (s)
Example: In comparison to B, A is approximately two times larger.
ดูรายละเอียด คอร์สเรียนสด IELTS รับรองผล ได้ที่ https://www.chulatutor.com/ielts/
และพิเศษสำหรับ คนที่ไม่สะดวกเดินทาง หรือ เวลาไม่สะดวกมาเรียนสด TOEIC ที่ทางสถาบันสามารถเรียน IELTS Online ได้แล้วที่ https://www.chulatutor.com/online/ielts-online